Vegetable Grilling Chart
Vegetables are loaded with vitamins and nutrients and are very low in fat--or fat-free. Roasting allows the sugars naturally present in vegetables to caramelize, which sweetens them, and the veggies pick up that great grilled flavor, making them a favorite on the dinner table. Instead of brushing on oil to roast the vegetables, spray them lightly with olive oil cooking spray. You’ll save calories and fat but still have great taste. Heat coals or gas grill. Grill vegetables 4 to 5 inches from medium heat.
Use the chart below for approximate grilling times:
Carrots, small whole, partially cooked*
Cherry tomatoes, whole
Onions, cut into 1/2-inch slices
Potatoes, cut into 1-inch wedges,
Bell peppers, cut into 1-inch strips
Eggplant, cut into 3/4-inch slices
Green beans, whole
Zucchini, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
Asparagus spears, whole
Broccoli spears, cut lengthwise in half
Cauliflower, but lengthwise in half
Corn on the cob, husked and wrapped in aluminum foil if desired
*Before grilling, cook in boiling water 5 to 10 minutes or just until tender.
Apple Stuffed Chicken
4 - boneless skinless chicken breast halves (about 1 pound)
2 - Tablespoons sugar
1/4 - teaspoon - ground cinnamon
2 - medium - tart cooking apples (peeled and cut into thin slices )
1 - cup - apple cider
1 - Tablespoon - cornstarch
1) Heat coals or gas grill.
2) Place chicken breast halves between 2 pieces of waxed paper.
3) Pound chicken to 1/8-inch thickness.
4) Mix sugar and cinnamon. Coat apple slices with sugar mixture.
5 ) Divide apple slices among chicken breast halves.
6) Fold chicken around apples; secure with toothpicks.
7) Cover and grill chicken 4 to 6 inches from medium heat 20 to 25 minutes, turning once, until juice is no longer pink when centers of thickest pieces are cut.
8) Remove toothpicks. Mix apple cider and cornstarch in 1-quart saucepan.
9) Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly.
10) Spoon over chicken.
1 Serving: Calories 235 (Calories from Fat 35); Fat 4g (Saturated 1g); Cholesterol 65mg; Sodium 65mg; Carbohydrate 25g (Dietary Fiber 1g); Protein 26g.
Makes 4 servings
To add a savory kick to this sweetened chicken, add 1 teaspoon chopped fresh sage leaves to the cinnamon-sugar mixture.
Grilled Shrimp Ka-Bobs
Roasted Garlic Marinade (see recipe)
2 - pounds - fresh or frozen raw large shrimp in shells
1 - medium - red bell pepper (cut into 1-inch pieces and blanched)
1 - medium - yellow bell pepper (cut into 1-inch pieces and blanched)
1 - medium - red onion (cut into fourths and separated into chunks)
1) Prepare Roasted Garlic Marinade.
2) Peel shrimp. (If shrimp are frozen, do not thaw; peel in cold water.)
3) Make a shallow cut lengthwise down back of each shrimp; wash out vein.
4) Pour 1/2 cup of the marinade into small re-sealable plastic bag; seal bag and refrigerate until serving.
5) Pour remaining marinade into heavy-duty re-sealable plastic bag.
6) Add shrimp, bell peppers and onion, turning to coat with marinade.
7) Seal bag and refrigerate at least 2 hours but no longer than 24 hours.
8) Brush grill rack with vegetable oil.
9) Heat coals or gas grill for direct heat.
10) Remove shrimp and vegetables from marinade; drain well.
11) Discard marinade.
12) Thread shrimp and vegetables alternately on each of six 15-inch metal skewers, leaving space between each.
13) Grill kabobs uncovered 4 to 6 inches from hot heat 7 to 10 minutes, turning once, until shrimp are pink and firm.
14) Place kabobs on serving tray.
15) Cut a tiny corner from small plastic bag of reserve marinade, using scissors.
16) Drizzle marinade over shrimp and vegetables.
Roasted Garlic Marinade
1 - medium - bulb - garlic
1/3 - cup - olive oil
2/3 - cup - orange juice
1/4 - cup - spicy honey mustard
3 - tablespoons - honey
3/4 - teaspoon - dried thyme leaves (crushed)
1) Heat oven to 375°F.
2) Cut one-third off top of unpeeled garlic bulb, exposing cloves.
3) Place garlic in small baking dish; drizzle with oil.
4) Cover tightly and bake 45 minutes; cool.
5) Squeeze garlic pulp from papery skin.
6) Place garlic and remaining ingredients in blender.
7) Cover and blend on high speed until smooth.
Makes 6 servings
1 Serving: Calories 135 (Calories from Fat 45); Fat 5g (Saturated 1g); Cholesterol 140mg; Sodium 200mg; Carbohydrate 7g (Dietary Fiber 1g); Protein 16g.
Grilled Mahi-Mahi with Ginger-Pineapple Marinade
Gingered Pineapple Marinade (see recipe)
1 - 1/4 pounds - mahi mahi fish fillets (1/2 to 1/4 inch thick)
4 - slices - fresh pineapples (3/4 inch thick)
1) Prepare Gingered Pineapple Marinade.
2) Remove 1 cup of the marinade; cover and refrigerate remaining marinade for basting.
3) Cut fish into 4 serving pieces.
4) Place fish in shallow nonmetal dish or heavy-duty resealable plastic bag.
5) Pour 1 cup marinade over fish.
6) Cover dish or seal bag and refrigerate, turning once, at least 2 hours but no longer than 12 hours.
7) Generously spray grill rack with nonstick cooking spray.
8) Heat coals or gas grill.
9) Remove fish from marinade; discard marinade.
10) Cover and grill fish and pineapple about 4 inches from medium heat 8 to 12 minutes, brushing frequently with reserved marinade and turning once, until fish flakes easily with fork. (If pineapple becomes too brown, remove from grill.)
11) Discard any remaining basting marinade.
Gingered Pineapple Marinade
1 1/2 - cups - unsweetened pineapple juice
1/4 - cup - reduced-sodium soy sauce
3 - tablespoons - sesame oil
2 - teaspoons - grated gingerroot
1 1/2 - teaspoons - finely chopped garlic
1/2 - teaspoon - crushed red pepper
4 - medium - green onions (chopped)
1) Mix all ingredients.
1 Serving: Calories 205 (Calories from Fat 25); Fat 3g (Saturated 1g); Cholesterol 80mg; Sodium 270mg; Carbohydrate 17g (Dietary Fiber 1g); Protein 28g.
Makes 4 servings
****** You may substitute Halibut in this recipe. *******
Lime - Ginger Tuna Steaks
Ginger-Lime Marinade (see recipe)
1 1/2 pounds tuna swordfish or halibut steaks, 3/4 to 1 inch thick
Lime wedges (if desired)
1) Prepare Ginger-Lime Marinade.
2) If fish steaks are large, cut into 6 serving pieces.
3) Place in shallow glassl dish or heavy-duty re-sealable plastic bag.
4) Add marinade; turn fish to coat with marinade.
5) Cover dish or seal bag and refrigerate at least 1 hour but no longer than 24 hours.
6) Brush grill rack with vegetable oil.
7)Heat coals or gas grill for direct heat.
8) Remove fish from marinade; reserve marinade.
9) Cover and grill fish about 4 inches from medium heat 15 to 20 minutes, brushing 2 or 3 times with marinade and turning once, until fish flakes easily with fork.
10) Discard any remaining marinade.
11) Serve fish with lime wedges.
1/4 - cup - lime juice
2 - tablespoons - olive oil
1 - teaspoon - gingerroot (finely chopped )
1/4 - teaspoon - salt
1 - dash - ground red pepper (cayenne)
1 - clove - garlic (crushed)
1) Mix all ingredients.
1 Serving: Calories 200 (Calories from Fat 90); Fat 10g (Saturated 2g); Cholesterol 45mg; Sodium 140mg; Carbohydrate 1g (Dietary Fiber 0g); Protein 26g.
Makes 6 servings
*****You may substitute any salt water fish (cut into steaks) in this recipe*****
Chicken with Artichokes
1 - (6-ounce) jar - marinated artichoke hearts
1/3 - cup - white wine
4 - boneless skinless - chicken breast halves (1 pound)
2 - medium - red bell peppers (cut lengthwise into fourths)
4 - medium - green onions (sliced) (1/2 cup)
1/4 - teaspoon - pepper
1) Drain marinade from artichoke hearts; reserve marinade.
2) Mix marinade and wine in shallow nonmetal dish or heavy-duty re-sealable plastic bag.
3) Add chicken and peppers, turning to coat with marinade.
4) Cover dish or seal bag and refrigerate at least 8 hours but no longer than 24 hours.
5) Brush grill rack with vegetable oil.
6) Heat coals or gas grill for direct heat.
7) Remove chicken and peppers from marinade; reserve marinade.
8) Cover and grill chicken 4 to 6 inches from medium heat 5 minutes.
9) Turn chicken; add peppers to grill.
10) Cover and grill 10 to 15 minutes longer or until peppers are tender and juice of chicken is no longer pink when centers of thickest pieces are cut.
11) Strain marinade. Mix marinade, artichoke hearts, green onions and pepper.
12) Heat to boiling; boil and stir 1 minute.
13) Serve artichoke sauce with chicken and peppers.
1 Serving: Calories 175 (Calories from Fat 45); Fat 5g (Saturated 2g); Cholesterol 65mg; Sodium 200mg; Carbohydrate 8g (Dietary Fiber 3g); Protein 28g.
Makes 4 servings
I'll be back soon with more recipes for Spring and Summer. I don't know about you, but I am very ready for the cold to leave and for Spring to get here very soon. Grilling is fun and it is a better way to cook than frying. As you may have noticed, there is a chart at the end of each recipe giving you important information about calories, fat, sodium, etc. When I can give you this info I will do so. It is very important to watch what you eat. Please, stay healthy. Until next time......