Saturday, December 28, 2013

Cake Anyone !!!

I did something yesterday that I haven't done in many years.  I baked a cake from scratch.  I have made more loaves of my chocolate chip bread than I can count.  I made a birthday cake for a friend.  She really loves chocolate and she really loves M & M's.  I went through my recipes and found a cake I made maybe 40 years ago.  But tastes change and people like to use a few more healthy ingredients.  Don't get me wrong, this cake is far from healthy.  In fact, it is pretty rich.  For you chocolate lovers out there, this is for you.  ENJOY !!!

 Spiced Chocolate -  Zucchini Cake

        INGREDIENTS:
        DRY:
        2 1/2 cups -  (1 1/2 c -Whole Wheat Flour / 1 c. -Spelt Flour)
        1/2 cup -  Baking Cocoa (more if you want an extra chocolaty cake)
        1 T. - 5 - Spice Powder
        1 t. -  Sea Salt
        2 1/2 c. -  Sugar Equivalent / Stevia (half each)
        WET:
        1 c -  Butter     (2 -  sticks)
        4 -  Eggs
        3 c. -  Shredded Zucchini (approximately -  2 to 3 zucchinis) (Finely shredded)
        3 t. -  Vanilla  (Artificial vanilla is fine)
        3/4 c. -  Almond Milk  (adjust as needed)
        3 t. -  Baking Powder (dissolve in 1/4 c. cold tap water)
        FROSTING:
        SOFTEN:
        2 -  8 oz. -  Cream Cheese
        1 c. -  Butter (2 Stick)
        ADD:
        6 T. -  Cocoa Powder (Semi-sweet Baking Cocoa)
        2 - 3 c. -  Powder Sugar/Stevia - Baking mixture (half each)
        1/4 c. -  Almond Milk  (adjust as needed)
        1 T. -  Vanilla (Artificial vanilla is fine)
        (Use hand mixer to cream these together)
        DIRECTIONS:
        1) Preheat oven to 350
        1) Grease and flour 3 - 9 inch -  Round Cake Pans.
        2) Mix dry ingredients, except for baking powder. (Sift together)
        3) Mix wet ingredients. (Mix the baking powder and water last)
            (Add baking powder mixture to wet ingredients)
        4) Put all ingredients together in large mixing bowl.  Mix well. (Scraping sides of bowl)
        5) Divide batter between 3 pans.
        6) Bake for approximately 30 minutes at 350 degrees. (Test with toothpicks)
        7) Cool cake on a rack.  Remove from pans. Ice cake, using about  1/4 of the icing for
               each layer and the side of the cake.
        Options:  Add semi-sweet chocolate chips. It makes the cake even richer.
                        Decorate with M & M‘s.  You can use your imagination.  

                     Measurements : (T. = Tablespoon / t. = teaspoon / c. = cup)

I will try to post more recipes soon.  I have developed a few recently that I want to share.  If anyone wants something special, just let me know.  Don't forget to go back to the beginning of my blog.  There is some helpful information about how to use spices and herbs.  Check it out.  Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment